One of my favourite things to have at any point during the day is this smoothie. I find a lot of fruits too sour or tangy to eat on their own (I’m just hypersensitive to it I think) so this is a great way of getting in all those fruits without having my face contort uncontrollably. Plus it looks cool when you start blending and the different fruit colours mix. Like paint.
1 handful of blueberries
1 handful of raspberries
5 large strawberries
200 ml of yoghurt
1. Wash all fruits if you’re using fresh ones.
2. Chuck all ingredients into a blender.
3. Blend! Add a little bit of water if you like your smoothie to be a bit more runny
The great thing about this smoothie is that it’s pretty versatile – you can play around with it and add other ingredients so that it suits your dietary requirements! Here are some ideas:
- Add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder as a post-workout smoothie
- Add a spoonful of flax seed for more dietary fibre and omega-3 oils
- Substitute yoghurt with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese has a high casein content, which is a slow-releasing protein – great for overnight muscle recovery
- I’m not a fan of blackcurrants, but if you are, they apparently go really well with the above selection of fruit - chuck some in and find out!
Being the health-conscious and thrifty student I am, I get frozen fruit because it’s cheaper. Frozen fruit may also be better than the fresh stuff because:
a) they freeze the fruit the day they’re harvested, thus ‘locking in’ all the good stuff, and
b) fresh fruit harvested in other countries usually takes a while to ship over - every day that goes by results in the loss of vitamins and nutrients
So hey, it works out pretty well overall! Hope you like the recipe. I’ll be posting some of my favourites onto here. Feel free to ask anything or make suggestions!